The distinct color patches in August's fiber offering inspired me think creatively about how to spin a multicolored top. A mystery knit along requiring two or three colors of yarn pointed the way. I spent a beautiful evening splitting the braid into the individual colors and then sampled a few tufts on my Matchless. I fondled and pondered three little skeins. I knit those lovely skeins into a big swatch before I could take pictures of them.
Then we found the house, and everything except for getting all the purchase and move ducks in a row got put on hold. The clues for the shawl are all out, but I've avoided looking at any but the first one, and I haven't stalked any other projects either. I want to maintain the big surprise, even if it takes me an extra month or three.
Now that we've moved, I'm back to it. I decided to spin this BFL-tussah silk blend more worsted than woolen (from the end with a short forward draw rather than from the fold with a long draw). I'm still deciding how to blend the green/blue and red/pink spots into two different colored yarns. For the sample, I tried two blending methods: I drafted the two colors together and I spun one ply of each color for barber-poled yarn. Top is blended, bottom is barber pole. Which do you like better for a garter stitch crescent shaped scarf/shawl.