Or confessions of a chronic starter.
I signed up for the Summer of Socks. Since then, I have been a bad SOS blogger: no "official" (started within the guidelines pairs) and only a couple of blog posts. And I keep forgetting to send updates in to my reader. Too much pesky work has limited my time to blog and my time to knit. I am finally knitting an official Summer of Socks pair. I enjoy checking up on everyone else's progress. And I am making headway on my personal Summer of Socks challenges: turn odd socks into wearable pairs and knit a few sock club skeins.
Here is where my odd sock basket stood at the beginning of July. From left to right:
- Picot edged, top down Regia from the sock pattern in my head. I started this sock for in-class knitting during the fall of 2003.
- Baby cabled cuff from Minds Eye Sock Club merino-tencel. The pattern is loosely based on the Inside Out pattern from the April Rockin Sock Club shipment. Knit past spring.
- Ribbed sock I absolutely do not remember knitting. What does that say about my feeble brain?
- Jawoll cotton Widdershins variation. I knit this sock last summer, but abandoned it because I made the foot too long. Right after taking this photo, I ripped back to past the start of the gusset and started knitting it again. I'm now past where I started ripping.
- Another picot topped sock. This one is Plymoth Sockotta. I knit it on a few fall 2006 business trips and decided to knit wool socks instead of cotton ones as the weather got chilly.
- Dark green handspun in a rib pattern I will have to look up before I start the second sock in the pair. This one has been lurking in the unfinished sock collection for many years.
These are the socks that are not even finished enough to be called "odd":
- Blue Flammegarn Socks from Folk Socks for D. This was my emergency sock to knit while hanging out with H for a year or so. We used to spend a lot of time chatting and watching sports, and I would occasionally arrive without knitting. I finally got smart and stashed a sock project in an end table at her house.
- January from And A Time to Knit Stockings (scroll down for the new format of this out of print favorite). I started before the D back to school odessy started.
- Traveler's Stocking from KOTR. I started this with the KOTR Knit Along in October 2006 and abandoned them a few months later.
- Falling Leaves in Socka. Given the date of the Knitty issue, I would guess that I started this sock sometime in late 2005.
- Hiiuma mate. Also from KOTR. Started in June 2007. Last Friday I finished the first sock and started the second one.
The travel never ends chez SpindleRose. Thusday D and I head to Florida for a few days of R&R before my annual work conference. Luckily, the session I have to present are early in the week again, so I should be able to hang out in other people's sessions and knit more socks.